Petite Canadienne

A Canadian MBA exchange student living in Paris.

Name:

Passionate about the energy sector...

Monday, March 13, 2006

My last night in Egypt




After I reached my threshold of Egyptian history and culture - the temples, mummies, and tombs were beginning to look the same - I wanted to experience regular life in Cairo. I was mesmerized by the merchants in the bustling Khan el-Khalili souk (bazaar). When crossing the crowded roads, jammed with cars that were two or three decades old, I was terrified of the careless taxi drivers. The concierege at the hotel advised me to "look both ways, look both ways again and then one more time". I was amused to see donkeys, tourists, completely covered Muslims and more modern Muslims integrated together in the streets of Cairo. I was deeply disturbed to witness so many poor children begging for money. While the military dominated the city, Egyptian women were almost invisible. Overall, my trip to Egypt was exceptional. It's an intriguing place that I've always dreamed of visiting after my Father spoke of his Egyptian adventure in the 60s. His black and white photos captivated me: I hope that my photos have inspired you to visit Egypt too. I can't wait to compare notes with my Father! Perhaps we'll have photos of the same VW Beetles?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

Eygpt sounds fascinating! You've inspired me to visit.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home