Petite Canadienne

A Canadian MBA exchange student living in Paris.

Name:

Passionate about the energy sector...

Monday, January 09, 2006

How to Make Money from French Banks...

I decided to go into town to do some banking, not knowing that the banks are closed on Mondays! Did you know that you can make money opening bank accounts in France? I opened one last week with BNP Paribas and got 50 euros (~Cdn$75) as well as a French comedy on DVD, a cool pen and a fancy BNP key chain. There's no restriction on how many accounts you can open and all you need is your passport and proof of residence. Tomorrow I'm going to open an account with another bank as they have promised to give me 120 euros (~Cdn$180). Yipee! Hopefully I'll get a few more pens too. What the hell, I'm a b-school student! Not sure how their business model works. Perhaps they save money by closing on Sundays and Mondays? Or perhaps they are thinking long term and targeting b-school students because of our need for a significant amount of credit now and our potential for high income in the future?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea for Canadian Banks! I have never been in a place before where they want to pay you to be their customer.

9:23 PM  
Blogger jd said...

How much is the transaction fee to get your money out?

5:47 PM  
Blogger petitecanadienne said...

Good question. There's no fee but I have to move some money around (i.e. be an active customer) before they can reward me with euros.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are similar deals here in NYC. Chase was offering $75 USD at one point and then recently an iPod Shuffle for customers who opened new accounts. But you had to pay a bill and have direct deposit set up in order to reap the benefits after three months.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to get a toaster, but I guess that wouldn't work on baguettes or croissants!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember one time I got 5 extra paper deposit slips...ah the good ol' days of CDN banking, when paper was free. - AB

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home