Petite Canadienne

A Canadian MBA exchange student living in Paris.

Name:

Passionate about the energy sector...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

French at the Sorbonne?


I've always dreamed of taking a French course at the Sorbonne. To make this dream a reality, I've made a few attempts to register for a French language course...and I'm still working on it.

My first attempt to register was thwarted by the limited hours of the registrar office. Did you know they close daily for a two hour lunch and that they close at noon on Wednesdays? As I walked through the building, a Sorbonne student handed me a pamphlet on France's new youth labour law. (This controversial law makes it easier for employers to fire workers under 26 years old.) I didn't think much of this news until I made my second attempt to register for a course. This time I was blocked by police officers in riot gear! They prevented me from stepping foot on the property. Oh la la la.

While I had planned a third attempt, the riots on the weekend have dampened my enthusiasm. I heard that a number of police officers were injured and a union leader is now in a coma! Apparently,a group of students have occupied the university: they call themselves the "Sorbonne Occupation Committee in Exile" and here's what they released:

"The Sorbonne University with its airs of eternity. Full of suspended history. Marble hallways like a frozen swamp. When there is no sun, learn to ripen under the ice. Then ten days ago, the ice started melting, one evening in centuries. A fire of tables and final papers: a flame higher than any man, in the middle of the quad, the quad of ceremonies. No more murmurs in the lecture halls, and in the hallways, no more discourses, just jostling together, searching for a structure. It begins. Projectiles, screams, fire extinguishers, chairs, ladders, against the cops. A monster awakens."

As I type this, I can hear HEC students chanting something in French outside of my residence. I wonder if they are protesting the labour laws too? When will these students calm down so that I can realize my dream of taking a French course at the Sorbonne after I finish the MBA? Maybe they should stay in school until the age of 27 so they won't have to worry about the new labour laws?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home